Saturday, 30 July 2016

United Nations suspends aids to tense north-eastern Nigeria

The United Nations has temporarily halted humanitarian assistance missions in north-eastern Nigeria’s uneasy Borno state after an attack on a convoy belonging to the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF)

The UNICEF team had been delivering desperately needed relief aid in a remote area of the region, on Thursday, the agency said.

“This was not only an attack on humanitarian workers. It is an attack on the people who most need the assistance and aid that these workers were bringing,” UNICEF said in a press statement on the attack, in which unknown assailants in north-eastern Nigeria attacked an aid convoy with UN staff traveling from Bama to Maiduguri.

UNICEF also confirmed that one of its staff along with a contractor from the International Organization for Migration (IOM) who were injured in the attack were being treated at a local hospital. All other staff from UNICEF and IOM, as well as the UN Population Fund (UNFPA were safe.