Friday, 15 July 2016

After 19 years, killer of London curry takeaway house found guilty

Foyjur Rahman mugshot
Mugshot of Foyjur Rahman provided by the United Kingdom in court documents.

A curry house owner has been found guilty of murdering another takeaway worker who was hacked to death after being lured by a fake order that was placed to an address on a quiet street, nearly 20 years ago.

Foyjur Rahman, 44, was accused of being one of four men involved in the attack on 25-year-old Abdul Samad in Islington, north London.

Following a trial at the Old Bailey, he was found guilty by a majority of 11 to one. Rahman faces life in jail when he is sentenced by judge Peter Rook QC later on Friday.

Members of the victim’s family burst into tears and there were cries of “yes” from the public gallery as the jury delivered its verdict after more than 12 hours of deliberations.

The court had heard how the victim, who was known as Kamal, from Bow, east London, turned up in Alwyne Road after receiving a bogus order on the evening of 21 May 1997.

He dropped the curry he was delivering and ran for his life when two men in black masks intercepted him armed with a meat cleaver and a knife, jurors were told.

As he was being chased down the street, the married father-of-two warned one shocked resident: “He’s got a knife. He wants to kill me. Be careful,”

Samad, who ran the 'Curry in a Hurry' takeaway with two business partners, was then set upon on the ground before being left in a pool of blood.

He was rushed to hospital where he died early the next morning. A doctor described his injuries as “horrific – the like I have never seen before in my career”, the court heard.

A postmortem examination found 18 separate chopping and stabbing injuries.

The cause of death was put down to bleeding from multiple wounds and shock, prosecutor Mark Ellison QC said.

Two black masks, a bloody meat cleaver and carrier bags used to transport the murder weapons were found discarded near the scene.

At the time of the murder, the now convicted Rahman was living in east London and helped to run a different curry takeaway in east Putney.

Ellison said the defendant was linked to the crime by fingerprints on a bag and DNA from saliva on one of the masks. The day after the killing, Rahman went to New York and he was only extradited back from the United States in January this year.